So Much More Than a Science Teacher | Teen Ink

So Much More Than a Science Teacher

April 29, 2012
By dudzinskerr BRONZE, Hockessin, Delaware
dudzinskerr BRONZE, Hockessin, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

For as long as I can remember I have loved going to science class because it is one of my favorite classes. I’ve always had good teachers, but this year my science teacher, Mrs. Averell, is my favorite. She makes labs so much fun, her teaching style is so laid back and easy to understand. She makes sure everybody understands everything.

In science class we do a fair amount of labs. The labs Mrs. Averell prepares help us better understand the material rather that just taking notes. Right before we start the lab she goes over the directions thoroughly without overdoing it or under explaining it. This gives us the time to complete the labs but do it correctly. Once the directions are explained she allows us figure out what we need to. If you are having trouble with the lab, she is always willing to help.
How a teacher teaches is very important to how well students do in their class. Mrs. Averell has an extremely laid back teaching style. She understands that she doesn’t have to use insanely complicated language to make us understand what is going on the classroom. Even when her classes are not behaving properly she doesn’t blow up and yell at us. When we take notes in the class room they are full of all kinds of confusing formulas. To make things easier for us she created these triangles that help you understand what you have to do and what you do not.
Science can be extremely complicated with all the formulas and chemistry. Mrs. Averell will take the time to work with you one on one during class work time and tries to help you understand what is going on. When it comes to tests or quizzes she gives us plenty of notice we play all kinds of review games like jeopardy that helps us study for the upcoming test or quiz. These games really help prepare me for the test or quiz. When it comes to grading the test I feel that she is a pretty fair grader because she knows that the questions that she wrote are challenging but not enough that no one understands them.

I wish that everyone could have a science teacher like Mrs. Averell she is the kind of teacher that you can talk to about everything even stuff that is not science. I cannot think of any reason for a student not to love Mrs. Averell.