teacher essay | Teen Ink

teacher essay

March 29, 2012
By hannj BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas
hannj BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I have had many teachers in my life. Teachers that have helped me immensely, not only in school but in life itself. But, i believe my eight grade English teacher has made the biggest impact on my life.

Deb Davis was her name. She was actually the one who inspired me and encouraged me to become a writer. Her techniques of teaching were something I had never witnessed. She did not stress sentence structure or spelling but rather the stories and essays we wrote. Now with that being said I will not deny I had a points taken off for my grammar mistakes a time or two.

She stated something that will forever be imprinted of the back of my mind as long as I live. She said, “When you graduate and are out in the real world its not going to matter if you know the difference between an adjective and a comma, or where a colon goes. What’s going to matter is if you can stand up, speak put, and write about what you believe in.” out of everything I have ever learned that one line severely impacted my life.

That year was the hardest year of my life. I was dealing with personal and parental issues and for some reason Coach D. was the person, the only person at that, that I felt comfortable enough confiding in. I came in her room during lunch for days and bawled my eyes out as she gave me better advice than any therapist ever could.

So now it is the least I can to do submit an essay in her honor. She pulled me through that year, the darkest time in my life. She brought light, not just by filling me with knowledge but with hope and faith in god. So, regardless if I win some competition, she will always be the greatest teacher in my eyes.