Because of Her | Teen Ink

Because of Her

March 29, 2012
By Daniela Monsalve BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas
Daniela Monsalve BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

My chemistry teacher, Carol Jenkins, definitely deserves this title of “Educator of the Year”. She is an amazing teacher and an overall great person. Before going into her class, all the upperclassmen would tell me that chemistry would be the first class I fail. This scared me because I am a straight A student. I’m not going to lie, chemistry is hard. But because of her, it is my favorite subject. Everyone thinks I am crazy because I say this, but it’s true. The way she teaches is great. She teaches in a way where everyone in the class will understand. Along with that, she makes a lot of jokes which makes everyone lighten up a bit. Because of her, I understand chemistry. I have lots of friends who aren’t in her class and none of them understand chemistry. None of them are even passing chemistry. If they are, they’re barely passing. Because of her, I’ve maintained a 90 or higher in her class all year. When everyone told me I was going to fail chemistry because it was so hard, I was scared but thanks to her I don’t have to worry about that. When I or any other student needs help understanding the homework or lesson, she lets us come in before or after school to work on it one-on-one. The students that don’t have her as a teacher fear her. The students that were lucky to have her as a teacher? We all love her: her craziness, her teaching skills and just her in general. I love having her as a teacher. Chemistry is one of the classes I look forward to. Chemistry is definitely my favorite subject. I love knowing that I’ll have a great time laughing AND learning in her class. Because of her, I learned you can do anything you set your mind to, practice makes perfect, and to always accept challenges. No matter how hard the task or challenge is, accept it. Enjoy the challenge because challenges make you a stronger person. Even though the work we do is hard and stressful, I know that all of it will benefit me in the future. I know that others have appreciated her teaching as well. I have friends in college who always come visit her and thank her for teaching them because they’re doing so well thanks to her. They mention how they see other students struggle and they know it’s because they didn’t have her. It’s good to know that I won’t be one of those students struggling. So again, I nominate my chemistry teacher, Carol Jenkins, for “Educator of the Year” and I would like to thank her for teaching me chemistry so well, making me laugh everyday and teaching me life lessons that have made me a better person and that I will use for the rest of my life.

The author's comments:
Like the essay says, it's about my chemistry teacher. She inspired me to write this about her, just like she inspires me to do better in life and accept all the challenges that come my way.