Mrs. Carol Jenkins | Teen Ink

Mrs. Carol Jenkins

By Luke.Steck BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas
Luke.Steck BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas

My sophomore year has been one of the best years of my schooling due to one of my teachers; Mrs. Carol Jenkins. Her class has been one of the hardest I’ve taken, but every day I look forward to going to my 7th period Chemistry class. She’s one of the best teachers I’ve ever had, and she makes coming to school in general something to look forward to.

At the beginning of the year, I had already heard about how awesome Mrs. Jenkins was from my cousin, who had her two years previously. I really didn’t know what to expect, all I knew was what my cousin said, and that the work was extremely tough. After a few days of school, I could tell that she was a very sarcastic, outspoken teacher who didn’t baby the students. From day one, she didn’t off any mercy. There was no late work, and no excuses. I was pretty happy with how she taught. She showed us how to do the material, and if you didn’t get it, she didn’t stand up there and halt the lesson for thirty minutes because you were confused. When she got up to teach, you could tell she knew what she was talking about and she made it feel really intense.

She’d really burn the material into you. There were things that became common knowledge, like Avogadro’s number of 6.02 to the 23rd power, or how to find the number of moles in a substance. Her class is always interesting, even if all we’re doing is calculating numbers or doing a worksheet. She really makes the class fun, and anyone who’s taken her class would say that they loved her. We all became familiar quotes of, “Life sucks and then you die” when someone was complaining or “Stellar” when she was describing anything positive. She’s also a certified scuba diver, and has pictures of her next to a cheetah in a trip to Africa. It really amazes me that she’s not only an amazing teacher, who can make something like Chemistry fun, but also a pretty stellar person.

So through the year of boring classes, there’s always a hint of excitement around 1:55 in the afternoon when I get to her class. She’s really made my sophomore year at Cleburne High school wonderful. Because Mrs. Jenkins is such an awesome teacher, I think she should be the teacher of the year.