My Hero | Teen Ink

My Hero

By alwaysonmymind BRONZE, Medford, New York
alwaysonmymind BRONZE, Medford, New York

"Live so that when your life flashes before your eyes, it will be worth watching."
"You shine a light in my dark world..."

My hero is a master of his profession; teaching. He can speak with such enthusiasm and presence, making you feel as if you were actually in the book he was reading aloud. His laughter and tears alike bring out years of learning, wondering and knowing. His memory details every piece of knowledge he has acquired in his lifetime as if he had learned it all just yesterday.

Throughout the year I have spent in his classroom, I came to realizations about my life and about my world. I learned the history of a humble man who would change my life, one word at a time. From my hero the teacher I learned grammar, writing and vocabulary. From my hero the man I learned so much more, for he is empowered with an inner strength that makes him tower above anyone. I have learned tolerance, beauty, respect, love, trust, integrity and confidence. He is warm and honest, a man whose principles will not bend, a man whose advice will carry me through my journeys as a person and student. He has been there for me since the moment he knew my name. I could lean on him for anything, and the wisdom he has instilled in me has made me strong.

He is a complex person; someone with a sarcastic, witty sense of humor and a dramatic, nearly comical rage. The spirit in which he lives his life is truly an art form, built entirely upon the love within him. He is a very special teacher and person. He taught me all of this and more about himself, not by words, but actions. He taught me the simple parts of growth, such as improving an essay and the correct usage of verbs, but in time, he taught me the complex parts as well. More important than anything, he taught me what it means to love and care for someone, even if that someone is the last person you would think of; yourself.

My hero will leave next year. I will continue on to high school, while he will retire. But I know this goodbye means nothing, because although I will not physically be able to attain his advice and wisdom, he will forever remain in my heart. His voice of joy and laughter, his enduring strength, his love and passion for life, will be constantly replayed in my head. I will try to live through what he has taught me, because if the world had more people like this man, we would live in a much better place. It's a privilege for me to be able to say I have known my hero, Mr. Montemurro.