A Great Man | Teen Ink

A Great Man

By Elizabeth Duchow BRONZE, Delafield, Wisconsin
Elizabeth Duchow BRONZE, Delafield, Wisconsin

Dear Coach Kostka,

Coming into track practice freshman year I was so nervous. I had big shoes to fill to say the least and was worried I wouldn’t live up to my sisters. I was scared that you, a man who my family respected so much, would not like me and that you would think I was not good enough. I thought that you, having coached so many greats before me, would see that I was not yet as good as my sisters were and be disappointed. Thankfully, I was mistaken.

From day one, you have seen me as my own person, and made me feel welcome on the team. You have always been the most caring and understanding coach, and truly been a good role model to me.

In the beginning of me junior year, you gave me a second chance that I will forever be grateful for. You have been understanding and given me the trust and credit that I did not always deserve, and gave me the benefit of the doubt when I needed it most.

Our team has always been able to count on you as a great, motivational, inspiring leader, who only wants the best for us. We have always been able to trust in you and come to you whenever necessary.

Over the years you have become not only a coach to me, but a father figure, I cannot thank you enough, or even begin to express the appreciation I have for all that you have done for me. You have truly left a mark in my life and on my heart. You have done so much for our team, and have inspired us, as I’m sure you have done for so many before. Thank you so much for all you do for us coach. It has been an honor to run under you, and the track program will surely be at a loss without you.

Sincerely,
Liz