Educator of the Year Contest | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year Contest

April 28, 2011
By Anonymous

When I came to DMA in the fall, nothing could’ve prepared me for my government/economics teacher. I had heard stories about him from my friends that had him, but his class is something you need to see to believe. Mr. Okneski is the most unique, and hilarious teacher I’ve ever had. Despite his funny comments, and his speeches that we all have memorized, I’ve definitely learned the most from him.


One thing I’d like to point out about him is his incredibly unique style of teaching. He seems to be able to relate anything to what’s happening today. Also, he’s the only teacher I’ve ever had that makes his notes available to us online. This is great because they are the exact same notes that he uses in class, so they are more reliable that the notes we take in class. Another thing he does is that he makes class fun. He includes his students and lets everybody have a chance.


The thing that I think everyone admires about Mr. O is his humor. He can make even the tiniest thing seem like the funniest thing ever. The good thing about this is that it doesn’t interfere with class, we learn an incredible amount, but he makes it fun.


Mr. Okneski is probably the most loved teacher in the freshman class at DMA. Everyone likes his class; it’s the class that people look forward to instead of dread. I think this is a very good thing, since people like him; they generally work harder in his class to gain his respect.


Mr. Okneski is by far one of the best teachers I’ve ever had. I’ve learned more in his class than I’ve learned in all of my other government classes that I’ve had before. It’s very rare that you come across a teacher that is amusing, but you also learn a lot from.