Educator of the Year 2011 | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year 2011

By Lov3you BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Lov3you BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

Have you ever had that one teacher in middle school that you just adored? I know there are usually many more than just one. Since I have to pick one out of the many that I love, the person I am nominating for ‘Educator of the Year’ is, my 7th grade science, Mr. Beam. He is that one teacher that I adore. He is hilarious, and every class I ever had with him was entertaining and fun. He made 4th period science class a good time. Even when he had to discipline the class for talking too much, no one held resentment against him. Because it was impossible to, he was too hard not too love!

I bet you’re wondering, who is ‘Mr. Beam?’ Well, Mr. Beam is a Science teacher. To be more specific, a 7th grade Science teacher at Cab Calloway School of the Arts. Yes, for middle school I went to an arts school. I absolutely loved it there; almost every teacher was just amazing in his or her own way. Mr. Beam was such a funny teacher. He could say anything hilarious and keep a straight face, while the whole class was bent over cuffing their mouths laughing. There was not one kid in the 7th grade class that didn’t like him. He was just impossible to dislike. He also was known to be VERY sarcastic, and when I say sarcastic, I mean he was ALL the time.

Now why would I pick my science teacher? Because I like science? No, science is not one of my favorites. I picked Mr. Beam because I felt like I knew him well, and he was a great teacher. I was never good at science, and he helped me get good grades in his class. He helped me understand labs that I didn’t quite get the hang of. Also Mr. Beam was a big part of who I am today. I used to be terribly shy. I really have no clue why, I just was. Mr. Beam got me through ‘being shy,’ he helped me become more outgoing and talkative. I am thankful for that, because it changed my whole middle school experience. Mr. Beam deserves this award. He has been a teacher for a very long time. Now it has been 3 years since 7th grade, so I don’t remember how long he told us he had been teaching. But I know it was a long time. He also helped a lot of kids keep their grades up in science by helping them! He wanted kids to get a good grade, that was his first priority.

Out of all educators why should Mr. Beam be Educator of the Year? There are so many reasons. Mr. Beam absolutely loves his job. He walked into school everyday ‘high-fiving’ kids, with a huge grin on his face. I don’t think I saw him one day looking like he didn’t want to be at school. He is a good teacher as I mentioned previously. He will do anything to help you pass, and to help you understand the labs and packets in the class. Mr. Beam is also a good teacher outside of the science area. He always attended plays, musicals, and choir concerts. He enjoyed seeing his kids outside the academics classes and in our ‘arts mode.’

I know many teachers are being selected for ‘Educator of the Year,’ but Mr. Beam deserves it the most. He is my favorite teacher, and I’m sure he always will be. He is that one teacher you just adore. The one years later I chose to write an essay about. He is my Educator of the Year 2011.