Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By yaboychrisdel BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
yaboychrisdel BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

What makes a normal teacher into a great teacher? You may be thinking it all matters on what the person teaches, or even how they teach the subject. What I think makes Mrs. Averell great is that she is very nice, funny teacher, she teaches the class well, and the class is relatively easy. These attributes are hard to find in a science teacher. Mrs. Averell is not an ordinary teacher, but an extraordinary teacher!
The first reason I have for choosing Mrs. Averell is because she always has a laidback (or chill!) attitude. Even while teaching loud, noisy, and interrupting freshmen, she still keeps her cool and doesn’t explode with anger. Many students need this kind of teacher so they can learn and not be focused on how to make the teacher angry again.
The next reason I chose Mrs. Averell as my educator of the year nominee is because she makes the class of science fun and easy. I know firsthand that science can easily be one of the most difficult classes among my curriculum, but with Mrs. Averell, everything seems to ‘click’. Learning about physics, hydrogen bonds, and now rock types, it is very easy to get overwhelmed by all of it. But Mrs. Averell lends a helping hand, and a patient attitude until we finally understand the concepts.
The last reason I chose Mrs. Averell is because of how she teaches her science classes. Many other teachers I have had over the years simply throw a book in front of us, and tell us to read the chapter. Mrs. Averell, on the other hand, shows us movies, models, samples, demonstrations, worksheets, and group activities, just to name a few. With numerous teaching styles, students are able to learn through hands-on-activities, reading, seeing, and hearing. It doesn’t get any better than that.
Hence, overall I believe Mrs. Averell is definitely one of the best teachers I ever had. She is a nice, fun teacher, she makes science class fun, and she teaches science in several different methods. If every teacher was like her, I would actually want to come to school! I can’t help but nominate her for this year’s Educator of the Year.