Noel Breger | Teen Ink

Noel Breger

By Adrienne BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Adrienne BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

What defines the word coach? Mentor, Leader, Teacher. Coach Breger surpassed all my expectations of a coach and an educator. As my cross country and winter track coach, he taught me how to run my best, but through his coaching he taught me life lessons that I will never forget. When I first started cross country, I had no idea what I was getting into. I had no idea the workouts would be so intense, or that I would have to eat better to run better. Coach Breger helped me do more than I ever thought I could, and he made me responsible for my own actions.
Coach Breger brings out the best in everyone. He taught me how to work hard, and when I reached a goal, how to feel proud. Coach Breger challenges me both physically and mentally. His workouts may seem insane, but he had me doing more than I have ever done before. On Wednesdays he would show up to practice with tires, a sledge hammer and a cinder block, and called it the “Home Depot Workout”. He not only gave me the tools and techniques to run my best race, but he started me on a healthier lifestyle. He enforced a diet during the season that I have followed even after the season ended because it makes me feel better and run better. He made me understand why the certain foods would help me run my best. He also seemed to know everything. I could never lie about not running or eating something I wasn’t supposed to, because somehow he always knew.
Coach really brought us together as a team. He taught us about teamwork and that no one gets left behind. Coach makes us want to be better, and surround ourselves with people striving to be their best. My teammates became my friends. Even since cross country ended and everyone plays different sports, the team still likes to hang out. Last Sunday, a lot of the team went to Brandywine Creek State Park to run and then just played baseball for a couple of hours.
He made everything personal. When he talked to the team, I felt like he was talking to me, not just the group. He knew every one of us on the team. We each had nicknames, and even his punishments were personal. When one of us ate candy, he made up a new pushup for us, sweet and sours, and another one called bull fighters to fight “bull”. Even though they were supposed to be punishment, they made us stronger, and we didn’t mind doing them because we knew they would make us stronger. At the end of the race, he would give you specific criticism and praise that let you know what you needed to do next time, and he made you want to get better.
I’m not sure where I would be without cross country and Coach Breger. My life is better now and will be in the future because I worked with Coach. He has inspired me to be a better person and a better runner through his words and actions. There is no doubt that he deserves the title Educator of the Year… no doubt.