Mr. O'Kneski | Teen Ink

Mr. O'Kneski

By Joseph Holden BRONZE, Hockessin, Delaware
Joseph Holden BRONZE, Hockessin, Delaware

Loud, funny, possibly crazy, traits you wouldn’t expect from your average teacher, right? Well, John O’Kneski is not your average teacher. In fact, I believe he is one of the only few teachers out there that could make a usually boring subject like United States Government interesting.

I remember walking into his class the second day of school, wondering how it would turn out. Before I got there, some sophomores told me, “You’re gonna love Mr.O,” but when I first walked in, I wasn’t so sure. My first impression of him was that he was a very strict man which would mean that his class would be boring. Not too far in the class I found out I was completely wrong. He turned out to be one of the funniest teachers I’ve ever had. I knew instantly that I would enjoy his class.

After that first week of school, I always looked forward to having his class. Not only is he hilarious, but he’s also gotten me to actually understand government. Usually I would be bored with listening to things about the past, but he is somehow able to make it so interesting. I also realized that he is so good at getting students to participate in class discussions, he almost never has to force us to raise our hands, which is something many teachers usually have trouble with. What also makes him a great teacher is that he takes no nonsense from anybody, but is still able to get along very well with his students.

Another thing that makes John O’Kneski a great teacher is that he likes to keep things fresh and up to date. He will always talk about things going on in the world today and is very good at answering our questions about those things. Mr. O’Kneski is also great at relating the things we’re learning about to things going on today. This helps me understand them so much better because then I feel like I’m learning about something that I can relate to. Because of this I learn why we actually need to be taught this stuff.

Mr. O’Kneski is an amazing teacher who is not only able to entertain his students, but also help them actually learn what he is teaching. He wants us to fully understand his lessons instead of just memorizing words and dates. He is also very popular among students, and even seniors who haven’t had him in years will stop by his class just to say hello. It probably wouldn’t surprise me and many other students at my school if he won the title of Educator of the Year.