One Teacher. One Mother. One Package! | Teen Ink

One Teacher. One Mother. One Package!

By Geni.7 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Geni.7 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

"You can take a man out of the hood but you cant take the hood out of a man" - Daddy Yankee

Everyone has a favorite teacher. Everyone has a favorite parent. I just happen to have them both in the same package. My mother is a 2nd grade teacher, an after school team leader and a parent coordinator. My mother not only teaches in a school during the day but also until six and when she gets home she helps me too. My mother is a star to me. She’s so bright and beautiful I’ happy to have someone like her in my life. I feel bad for anyone else who doesn’t have a mother like her.

My mother’s name is Amalfi Richard. She is a born and raised Dominican woman. I’m very happy to share her with the world and it’s because of her that I also want to be a teacher. My mother went to Kingsbourgh Community College and then to Brooklyn College. My mother has not only worked for the money but because she loves her job and in fact; she even has volunteered many hours. She, as well as I, has volunteered at Cypress Hills Beacon where we assist children to a wonderful summer. While my mother is a team leader I am an assistant. My job is to take boys and girls to the bathroom and what ever else I can help them with. The biggest part of my job is that I get to make a difference in my community just like my mother does. And because of her, she has inspired me so much that I volunteered for more then 3 months. My mother is a powerful Hispanic woman just like I am.

Being a Latina it is very hard to find someone that doesn’t put you down and that won’t look at you like a minority. My mother doesn’t judge any one she meets and she helps every person as if they were her own. Sometimes this makes me feel jealous, but some people don’t have parents that are bilingual and that can help them and they find that help in my mother. I love my mother with all my heart! My mother has been through many things like I also did in the past. But your past helps your tomorrow and builds your future and that is what I love about my life with my mother and with education!

My mother went trough a lot of things when she was younger. She was separted from her mother and father and even her sisters at one point, but that didn't stop her. My mother came to the United States, had me and got her education. Not much people get more then two degrees with a child to feed and for this i aso love my mother.