Coach John Mesenbrink | Teen Ink

Coach John Mesenbrink

By Jake Sueflohn BRONZE, Watertown, Wisconsin
Jake Sueflohn BRONZE, Watertown, Wisconsin

Wrestling was woven into my DNA upon birth. I started wrestling with my dad when I was four. And since then, it’s always been something I have done.
I was just an above average wrestler coming into my freshman year of high school, though. However, things would change my freshman year, as I was taught what it meant to be an Arrowhead wrestler.
Mr. Mesenbrink, my wrestling coach, taught me how to battle through adversity, develop a hard work ethic, became more aware of my responsibilities, and became more aware of my decisions and the consequences they had. During my four years in high school, Coach Mesenbrink helped me become the person I am today.
I would have been okay with staying an average wrestler; however, coach Mesenbrink challenged me. He challenged me to be one of the best. He knew deep down it was in me. It was not easy and at times I wanted to give up. But he would not let me.
When I started to achieve success, he did not let me settle for that; he was always looking for me to achieve something bigger and better. As sophomore, Coach Mesenbrink helped me take second at state. Then, my junior year, I was a state champion. As I prepare for my last state tournament, I am the favorite to repeat as the champion at the 140 pound weight class.
Next year, as a college freshman, I will be wrestling at the University of Nebraska. I am able to continue my wrestling career into college because of Coach Mesenbrink and I am truly grateful for that. Coach Mesenbrink is a great man and one that is well deserving of this honor.