Teacher of the Year Essay | Teen Ink

Teacher of the Year Essay

January 5, 2011
By Chris Barnes BRONZE, Bowie, Maryland
Chris Barnes BRONZE, Bowie, Maryland
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My nominee for Teacher of the Year is Ms. Natiqua Riley. Ms Riley works at Benjamin Tasker Middle School. Ms. Riley is a great teacher, she teaches 7th and 8th graders a class called AVID (Advanced Via Individual Determination). AVID teaches students about college and college preparation. Her teaching is very straight-forward, she doesn’t hold back her feelings and says what’s on her mind.

She is loved by many kids at the school and I always look forward to going to her class. She is always thinking about us while she is at work by making fun things to do. She was the school’s cheerleading coach last year and goes to many school sports games. She is usually making community service projects for students to do or attend to. Ms. Riley always looks out for her students and teaches them well about college.

She sets field trips every month for AVID students. Ms. Riley is a TAG coordinator and helps control the TAG program (Talented and Gifted) at Benjamin Tasker. Ms. Riley also puts many other things together for students at Benjamin Tasker like a female club called DIVA. This club helps young girls in middle school get ready to be young women and good adults in the real world. Again, Ms. Riley is a great teacher who does many good things for the students at Benjamin Tasker and the community around the school.

Ms. Riley is a tough teacher and doesn’t take dumb stuff from anybody. If you get on her nerves she will show it and be tougher on you. She gets mad if you don’t do your work of if you are being smart. She is supportive to program you may want to join and often cheers for you to make the club. Lastly, Ms. Riley has a well put together rubric that makes her organized.

In my opinion, I enjoyed being in a class with Ms. Riley. She is a fun and funny teacher that knows how to teach and get stuff done. Her teaching is helpful with good PowerPoint’s to take notes on. Her classroom is a fun learning atmosphere with a great teacher teaching kids about college. I nominate Ms. Natiqua Riley as Teacher of the Year and hopes that she wins the award.

Bemjamin Tasker Middle School