Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By Nick Hanna BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Nick Hanna BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Nick Hanna
7/8 CWB
3/5/10
Educator of the Year
I got my course schedule and saw I had Cabinet Making class with Mr. Koska. I had him the previous year and knew he was a great guy, but I only had for one semester last year and didn’t get to know him that well. I walked into the class and was ready to begin learning about the new projects we would be working on this year. I remember all the woods projects we made previous years and knew senior year would be nothing less.

Mr. Koska brightens up the room everyday with charisma and humor by making a funny joke or two before we work on our projects. Although he doesn’t teach math, English or science, he still teaches valuable information.
In his classroom, we make all sorts of cabinets, tables, etc. The machinery used to make them are just as magnificent. Some would say a good educator should teach you things you need on a daily basis, but what about the things you only encounter once or twice? What about if you screw up at those times and it changes your life? Mr. Koska teaches us we need to pay attention to the machinery we’re using; it should be respected or it could be a danger to us. This lesson should be used in everyday life, because if you don’t pay attention to the world around you, you could miss out on valuable opportunities. Without Mr. Koska teaching us the way to safely work in a woodshop, there would be more accidents.

If you’re debating who to pick for educator of the year, pick Mr. Koska because there is not another teacher I believe deserves the award.