The Teacher Who Changed My Life | Teen Ink

The Teacher Who Changed My Life

By SunBurstH714 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
SunBurstH714 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

"Sometimes, our best is not good enough. Sometimes we must do what is required of us."-Winston Churchill

When it comes to Mrs. Markano, where should I start? Perhaps it would be appropriate to start when we first met in my sophomore year when I signed up for her acting class. I always enjoyed acting, but Markano made it even better.
The first few classes were a lot of fun. We mostly did introductory exercises to get to know each other’s names. This allowed for me to get to know both the other classmates and Markano herself.
During the first few days of class, I caught stomach flu. Because of this, I was unable to come to class and work on a small in-class project. She knew I was sick and let me off the hook. After the first six week grading period passed, I fell in love with the class and came back for more semesters to come. The Arrowhead theatre crowd became my second family, and she was a mother to us all.

In the following years, I signed up for not only acting again, but also theatre arts and directing. Through field trips, and the scripts we read and analyzed, I was introduced to a greater variety of theatre of multiple genres, from Shakespearian to anti-realism. I also grasped a greater vocabulary and an understanding of Shakespeare. She helped me grow as an actor and a person. As an actor, I gained confidence, developed better expression in both voice and body language, and improved my ability to get into multiple types of character. As a person, I found my niche. I got very attached to my fellow actors. They treated me with respect and acceptance and Markano treated me like a son. Everyone was nice to me, and I became friends with them all. Talking with them helped improve my social skills and teamwork abilities.
When I started in sophomore year, I was outgoing but expressionless and not always clear when I spoke. By my senior year, I could get in and out of a character on command like a dog when told to sit or roll over. It should also be noted that these skills were carried over when I had a speech class with her in my first semester in my senior year. I could go on all day describing how Markano has shown me the ropes of theatre as both an actor and a crew member.

Mrs. Markano was not only an exceptional educator, but a great mentor. She was like a second mother to me and looked at me as a son too. She was always there to help me with characterization, understanding lines, or advice. I’ve always been able to get along with most educators, but Mrs. Markano was both a friend and a teacher. She was able to take jokes and fun to hang out with, but still had authority. When she gave an order, you did it. Not just because she told you too, but the same reason you’d do a favor for a friend or loved one.
In short, she had a great impact on my life. She was a teacher, a guide, a friend, a second mother. Mrs. Markano has helped me develop as an actor, grow as a person, and discover that theatre is where I belong. I couldn’t have done it without her. I’m not the only one to have had my life impacted by her leadership in the Arrowhead theatre program. Many others have been drawn to the stage by her, and even more will. I cannot think of a teacher more deserving of such commendation than Mrs. Marylyn Markano.

on Oct. 2 2012 at 11:07 am
Set your life time more easy take the loan and all you need.