Coach!!!! | Teen Ink

Coach!!!!

By Lizfoshiz BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Lizfoshiz BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Live life long.

It was the middle of August and I was sitting at home doing absolutely nothing. The phone rang and I answered. “Hi, is this Lizzy?” Who on Earth was calling me in the middle of the day? It was an unfamiliar, male voice. “It’s me, the new Cross Country Coach and I’m trying to contact some girls to start getting girls out running. Would you be interested?” Well, seeing as I’m ambushed and I haven’t ran all summer, I said, “Yes! I’d love to!”Click.

I’ve known my cross country and track coach for two years now and it still amazes me how motivated he is. From before the first days of his coaching job at Arrowhead, he was emailing the girls, getting us out to run and eventually calling us to organize team runs. Near the end of summer, he had around ten girls running at a local park, and I was one of them. As season began, he brought Gatorade and granola bars to every practice and personally got to know every single girl and what their goals were.
He started coaching my sophomore year and, at the time, my PR goal was 17:30, based off of freshman year’s time of 17:32. By the end of sophomore year, my new official PR was 16:42, almost a minute faster than before. That normally is a good indicator for a good coach.
He’s always looking on the bright side of things and attempts to make every girl enjoy practice. He presents everyone with options and makes sure the injured are getting better so they can race again. He’s always been a devoted coach and strives to bring out our each and every potential. He’s our one and only, Coach Kutzor.