Scott Matton - The Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Scott Matton - The Educator of the Year

March 11, 2010
By Angela Darrow BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Angela Darrow BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

For the last ten years, I have gotten to look forward to walking through the red barn door, inhaling the scent of the shavings, and being greeted with an enthusiastic and friendly “Hey Angela!”
Knollwood Farm in Hartland, Wisconsin, has been my home away from home ever since I fell in love with horseback riding when I was eight-years-old. The owner of Knollwood and my trainer, Scott Matton, has become a father figure to me and he has been one of the most inspiring and influential people in my life.
Scott is one of the most respected and successful Saddlebred horse trainers in the United States. Not only clients within the barn, but people from all over the country know him for his loud and joyful laugh. Anyone who has heard it knows it can be heard from miles away.
Scott’s consistent positive attitude has always made him a pleasure to train with. Being one of the top competitors in the world, Scott and I take my training seriously, but there is always time for a joke…or two…or three. Everyday I come to ride, he has a new joke or funny story to tell me. With this, he has taught me that although I must work hard to be the best and achieve my goals, I have to be able to enjoy what I’m doing.
Scott is the most passionate person I know. He is passionate about the sport of Saddleseat horseback riding. He is passionate about the horses. He is passionate about his riders. He is passionate about helping me live my dreams and experience my passion. Although it didn’t take much for me to fall in love with riding, his passion is a significant reason why I have had so much success.
Scott genuinely cares about me and my horses and always has. He has stuck by my side through all of my shining moments and tough times. He was there for me when I won my first World’s Grand Championship title when I was thirteen. He was there for me when my second horse got fatally ill and when we were forced to put her down. He was there for me every time I got discouraged and wanted to quit. He was there for me when I became a member of the World Cup Team in 2008…but unfortunately only as the alternate. He was there for me and my family through our financial troubles. And he was there when I won my final world title as a junior exhibitor in 2009…a title we had been dreaming about winning for years.
Scott helped make my dreams come true. He taught me everything happens for a reason. He taught me hard work pays off. He taught me great things come to those who are patient. He taught me passion is the most important thing to have in my life. Because of him, I’ve experienced my passion and I’ve lived my dreams.
He has educated me in ways beyond what is in his job description. Scott has been one of the greatest influences in my life and I have loved and appreciated every lesson he has taught me.