Mr. Breitlow | Teen Ink

Mr. Breitlow

By Austin Wallschlager BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Austin Wallschlager BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Austin Wallschlager
Creative Writing ½ b

Freshman year, I really didn’t know what to expect from teachers at Arrowhead. I don’t have any siblings that went to Arrowhead, so I had no idea what it was like. According to my middle school teachers my high school teachers were going to be more strict, and harsh. But I found out soon that it was quite the opposite.
My day first day walking into Mr. Breitlow’s class I knew I would be looking forward to my fourth hour class everyday. I loved going to his class every day because of his goofy actions, and his heavy yet fun way of teaching. He would make sure everyone got involved and never singled out anyone unless it was in joking matter he knew the student understood.
Though he sometimes would act like a kid, Mr. Breitlow had expectations that we would all respect each other and work hard. If anything was said during class that shouldn’t have been said, he was the first to let us know what needed to be changed.

If I was ever a teacher at Arrowhead, I would be happy to be teaching at the same school as Mr. Breitlow. Whenever another teacher would stop by, he would always announce who they were and what they do for kids at Arrowhead. Then he’d have us clap for them.

At the end of freshman year, when we were deciding what classes we were taking next year, I wanted to know what sophomore classes he taught. I found out the only class I could have with him my sophomore year was western civilization. This was not a required class and meant I’d have to take U.S. History as a junior at North Campus. But I didn’t care, I wanted to be in his class because I knew I would actually learn something and have fun. That next year, he went out of his way to show me he really cares about his students. I wasn’t doing well in his class…not because he wasn’t doing a good job in teaching but because I was having a hard time. He would meet with me during lunch everyday and help with homework in not just his class but any class I needed. He would also give me advice and he really acted like he wanted the best for me, which to this day still means a lot to me.

Sally said...
I was pleasantly surprised with the way Austin showed his respect for this teacher without getting too mechanical or showy.  He is very good at writing and should keep it up.