Mrs. Passler | Teen Ink

Mrs. Passler

By Samantha Sanders SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Samantha Sanders SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

It was the first day of junior year, and I was in my second hour class. I remember looking at the clock and watching the minutes pass by thinking, is this class almost over yet? I willed the bell to ring, and, after what seemed like an incredibly long time, it finally did! I heaved my backpack over my shoulder, and shuffled off to my next class: English. Half asleep, I made my way into the English classroom, where I heard a very cheerful “Good morning!” coming from the front of the room. I turned and saw Mrs. Passler smiling at me. Little did I know, this was going to be the start of many cheerful times in Mrs. Passler’s class.

Mrs. Passler is one of the most up-beat and encouraging people I have ever met. The minute I walk into her classroom, I am instantly happier. Even if I am having a terrible day, I know when I go to English class, my day will become much better. She always has a smile on her face that lets me know I can to talk to her about anything. For me, it’s hard to do this with most of my teachers because they are intimidating or unfriendly, but it’s a different story with Mrs. Passler. She is an expert at balancing assertiveness with kindness. She teaches in a way that makes me, and everyone else, want to listen to her because we know that something great will come out of it.

When I am assigned a project in class, I always have ideas, but I am never confident with them. Mrs. Passler has taught me to trust my instincts, and to not be afraid to do something different. Every time I run one of my ideas past her, a big, excited grin stretches across her face, and she tells me how great of an idea it is. She gives me the encouragement I need to complete my projects, and to be confident in my ideas.

She is so passionate about her job, and she lets everyone know how much she loves it. She gets genuinely excited about upcoming units or books. Even if someone is not the biggest fan of English, she makes it fun with her stories, and enthusiasm, and her ability to relate to each student. I am so grateful that I am able to have her as not only an English teacher, but also as a mentor, and a friend.