Teacher of the Year Nomination | Teen Ink

Teacher of the Year Nomination

March 10, 2010
By dragonlover69 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
dragonlover69 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
When life gives u dragons, ride them.


At the end of my junior year, Mr. Paul filled in for my regular teacher. We were supposed to be completing a study guide for the final exam and one of the biggest slackers I knew wasn’t doing anything but sitting in his desk. Mr. Paul asked him to get to work and he refused, so Mr. Paul kicked him out of class. I was glad he did that because I am a person who values hard work and seeing the kid slacking off really angered me. Immediately, I had a positive opinion of Mr. Paul because I knew he had the same view of effort and hard work as me. I hoped that I would have him as a regular teacher my senior year.
All I could do was smile when I looked at my schedule for senior year a couple weeks later to see I had Mr. Paul for both AP Macroeconomics and AP U.S. History. I walked into AP Macroeconomics the first day my senior year and I was actually excited to learn because I knew Mr. Paul would give me the best AP Macro experience ever. As I took my seat, I saw a six foot, five inch man who looked like a basketball player with his signature soul patch beard walk in and shout, “Good morning ladies and Gentlemen.”
Right away I knew this was going to be a good year because Mr. Paul was full of energy and actually showed a desire to teach his students well, which is what some teachers these days lack. Mr. Paul is the best teacher I have ever had because he is both tough and understanding when you need him to be at different times. He does every student in his class a favor when he is preparing us for our college years ahead of us.
On top of being an excellent teacher, Mr. Paul is the funniest teacher I have ever had. There hasn’t been a day when I have left Mr. Paul’s class without laughing. He actually makes learning, especially a boring class like history, fun and exciting. I never thought history could be fun, until I met Mr. Paul.
Mr. Paul is also a good hearted person. He helps raise money for war veterans through fundraising and is always taking time away from his busy schedule to help benefit his students by making changes to his teaching material. Mr. Paul really lives up to his slogan, “Saving the world, one child at a time.”