Educator of the year | Teen Ink

Educator of the year

By DWP12 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
DWP12 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

It is a typical morning in Wisconsin. I roll out of bed, unexcited to spend another day at school. I get outside and instantly feel my hands go numb from the cold weather. I slowly make my way to the car and drive to school. I walk through the front doors and think to myself, this is going to be a bad day. As I think this, I realize I have Mrs. Markano and everything changes. Every other day, I spend my first two hours in Mrs. Markano’s acting class. I have been involved in acting class for three years and I have enjoyed every minute of it.
From day one, Mrs. Markano has been energetic, involved, and willing to help anyone in need. She made me actually want to come to school. To start our day off, we play a game to wake us up for the rest of class and the rest of the school day. Once we are all awake and energized, we get to work on anything she has for us. From monologues, to three person scenes, to our final performance project, she tells us what we need to get done and lets us finish it in our own way. As we separate, she walks around the theater or into her room to check and see if anyone needs help. Not only does she teach us how to act and learn the specifics on how to create a character, but she also helps us if we are uncomfortable talking in front of people, either doing a project or a speech. She dedicates all of her time and energy to make everyone feel comfortable.
She also teaches Directing, Theater Arts, and English 11. Her day consists of constantly working and making all of her students feel captivated. She makes every one of her classes as enjoyable as she can, with activities and games which not only teach us, but also helps us wake up and use interesting things that educate us.
On top of everything, she is also the director of the school play. Three months of her life is dedicated to making that show the best it can be. On these days, she stays at school from six in the morning to eleven at night. She gives up her life for her students and makes sure they do the best they can.
I didn’t know what I wanted to do with my life until I had Mrs. Markano as a teacher. She helped me realize what I want to do in college and for the rest of my life: Act. I will be forever grateful for what Mrs. Markano has done for my life, that’s why I nominate her for Educator of the Year.