Mrs. Carnell for Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Mrs. Carnell for Educator of the Year

By Luke McGhee SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Luke McGhee SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin

A caring, determined and thoughtful person should be the educator of the year. When I hear theses qualities, I immediately think of Mrs. Terri Carnell.

Over the years, I have been lucky enough to have Mrs. Carnell twice in my four years at Arrowhead High School. Throughout this time, Mrs. Carnell and I have got to know each other as more than just a student and a teacher; we have gotten to know each other as a friend and a mentor.

Having accumulated about 240 total days in her classes, she has been there for, not only me, but for everyone in the classroom. Each day, Mrs. Carnell goes out of her way to find out more about her students and the person they are deep inside. There hasn’t been a time where I have left one of her Language Arts classes not feeling joyful, looking forward to the next class I have with her.

If there was ever a problem earlier in the day, Mrs. Carnell would know and she would be there for comfort and support. Each student Mrs. Carnell has is lucky to share what is happening in their life because she is a listener and she cares about who you are.

Other than getting motivated to work by playing Mad Gab and brain teasers at the beginning of class, each day brings something new to look forward to. Throughout my four years of knowing Mrs. Carnell, I have never seen her in a bad mood… other than the time she got her hair died and wasn’t too fond of it. Although everyone in the class liked her hair, she was still worried it was a tone off and didn’t look right.

In the hallways, Mrs. Carnell is one of the few teachers students feel comfortable having a conversation with. No matter the occasion, Mrs. Carnell is always willing to take time out of her busy schedule and talk with you with passion and care. The passion she shows translates into teaching skills that motivate everyone.

Mrs. Carnell is an educator who needs much more credit than what she is given. She has three kids in grade school and loves comparing her students to her kids. I believe this is one of the reasons why Mrs. Carnell loves teaching and has so much excitement for the job she does. Each day is something new for her as she can see her students grow with maturity and desire for the class. Unfortunately for her students, they don’t get to see her everyday like her kids.

I want to be like her when I’m older. There is no one else as joyful as her and she is such a pleasure to be around. I can only hope our friendship continues as I move on to college. I know if I ever need advice or just someone to talk to, I can always go to her.