Pat Downing | Teen Ink

Pat Downing

By Dillon Sorenson BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Dillon Sorenson BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

When I first met Pat Downing, I expected her to be a meek and mild woman who I’d know just as a teacher and a friendly face. The week before I started my junior year at Arrowhead, a friend and I were setting up an art display when she walked over and greeted us with a big smile and a beam of friendliness. After five minutes of conversation I knew I could not have been more wrong. She instantly related with us (thanks to her love of art and music). Her jokes made us laugh more than any other teacher’s had. It was somewhat bizarre how similar this woman was to us 17-year-olds, but it certainly was welcome.
A good teacher should be kind, caring, and helpful. Mrs. Downing epitomizes those characteristics and isn’t afraid to show it. But she not only does what a teacher should, she goes above and beyond the requirements of an educator. She cares about the students on a personal, individual level to make sure we’re getting the best of our education. Also, she wants to become our friend and make sure we’re having a pleasant day, which is uncommon among most teachers.
As the leader of the International Student’s Club, Fine Art’s Club, and countless other fundraisers, she unquestionably contributes to our school. She wants students to participate and join in helping each other. Her involvement and contribution with Arrowhead High School is incredible. As well, her personality puts smiles on everyone’s face making her a beloved mentor.
Whenever I see Mrs. Downing in the hallway, she speaks to me as an equal and as a friend. She respects her students as much as they respect her. You can tell she wants to make students laugh, and she certainly isn’t afraid of acting like a kid in doing so. She breaks the rules to make students’ days better, which connects them to her as a friend who honestly cares about their well-being. She’s relatable, sarcastic, and hilarious. She’s a great friend.
I am grateful to know a teacher as pleasant, caring, and devoted as Pat Downing. This is why I’m nominating her as educator of the year.