Teaching for Life | Teen Ink

Teaching for Life

December 15, 2009
By Ryan Finley BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas
Ryan Finley BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Since my freshman year, there has been one teacher in the school that I know I can trust with my life, Mrs. Stone. I met her on the first day of school in my Personal and Family Development class, freshman year. She was a middle aged, sweet, loving, caring, and eccentric person. Someone who gets to know her cannot help but love her.

Mrs. Stone is very active in FCCLA, (Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America.) She is the reason that I have become a very active member in the club also. Mrs. Stone dedicates numerous hours a week, preparing us for the FCCLA competitions in March and April. Not only does this require her to be active in the school, it also requires her to be active with the whole community. Throughout her time in FCCLA, she has helped teenagers do hundreds of community service projects.

She spends many nights staying at the school until one in the morning, just to make sure that our projects are flawless for competition. She will drop everything and come to the rescue whenever we need it. She is the most giving person I have ever met, and I only hope to become like her.

I know that she will be a person that I will continue to have in my life for the rest of my life. I cannot ever think her for what she has taught me, as well as my classmates. If we didn’t learn to cook spaghetti in her class, or sew a pair of boxers, we definitely learned how to be a good person. Teachers can be role models. Mrs. Stone was definitely mine; she has made such a difference in my school, community, and in my life. If anyone deserves the award of Educator of the Year—it is definitely this woman right here.