Drama in Life | Teen Ink

Drama in Life

By Sarah Gonzalez BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas
Sarah Gonzalez BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas

In Coach Renaud’s class it was hard not to get the meaning of sarcasm. Every word he uttered was full of piercing sarcasm. He was probably the most interesting English teacher I have ever encountered in my life. His pure form of teaching could be considered abstract, at best. “House,” a television drama, was watched periodically in my class and I loved every moment of it. Gregory House was, pretty much, Gilbert Renaud but in a hospital setting. That’s why it didn’t surprise me that there was a hidden motive to our frequent viewing of “House” episodes. We would be writing our own episode that was both believable and based on real medical terminology. When this assignment was first presented, I thought how hard could it be?
It turned out to be one of the most difficult assignments of my life. Not only did it have to be grammatically correct it also had to contain accurate character dialogue. This task would prove more difficult than I had first anticipated. I really only knew about one disease, multiple sclerosis and I decided that this would be the final diagnosis for my fake patient. Now, he was I supposed to cure him? Coach Renaud helped me find the answer, together we found out that multiple sclerosis was incurable. Researching symptoms and everything I noticed that my dad, without a doubt, was suffering of this disease. When I told my dad of my suspicions he broke down and reluctantly confirmed them. He was diagnosed two years ago. Thanks to Coach Renaud I finally understood the pain my father suffered and why he was always so ill-tempered.