First Grade | Teen Ink

First Grade

December 15, 2009
By Hailey2010 BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas
Hailey2010 BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Every school year I always have a teacher that sticks out the most. This is my senior year and out of all the different teachers I’ve had, I still remember my first grade teacher.

Mrs. Passalugo was my first grade teachers’ name. She was a very energetic lady. She always seemed so happy every morning when I walked into her room. Mrs. Passalugo was pretty much the ideal first grade teacher. She always kept a smile on her face and was a very hand on teacher. First grade was difficult for me, trying to learn how to add and spell. Mrs. Passalugo was always right at my side helping me and teaching me.

In elementary school, we always did a program called AR. AR was a reading program, and you had to read a book and take a test over the book and you earn a certain amount of points. If you reached however many points at the end of a six weeks, you get to go on a field trip. It was almost the end of the six weeks and I only lacked five points. I was a very slow reader and I knew I wasn’t going to be able to read that many books in the time period I had. One day Mrs. Passalugo told me during reading time she would read me books so I could take my AR tests over them. She read me three books and I passed the AR benchmark.

Mr. Passsalugo not only helped me pass the AR benchmark, she was also a very kind lady and a wonderful teacher. Every year as I would pass her in the hall she would smile and wave. Even till this day, she recognizes me and she brings up the AR test. Mrs. Passalugo is a teacher that loves her job and loves being around kids.