Man of the Year | Teen Ink

Man of the Year

December 14, 2009
By chazmaster10 BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas
chazmaster10 BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My swim coach Jim Abt is a very laid back kind of coach. He isn’t one of those guys that is going to be up in your face yelling at you to get something done, but what he does is just shows you what the right thing is to do and then you can do it. If you don’t get it right away he doesn’t just give up he keeps working with you to make sure that you will eventually get it. This fact alone is probably the main cause that makes him very well liked in the community, in my church family, and also on the swim team.

My coach has taught kids for years to learn how to swim. Not only has he done this but he also has an open house and anyone can go over there as long as they are “clean.” Jim and his family always try to help people and this is how he really helps the community. Jim helps the school by furthering our athletic program because recently Jim has had swimmers going to state almost every year. One guy that could barely swim now is one of the best ones on the team. This is for the fact that Jim never gave up on the kid just because he didn’t know how to swim, he helped the boy and now he is one of the best on our team.

Jim has turned out to be a very good coach for our swim team and this is probably the reason that he is still here at our school and has been for so long. The fact that he has swimmers going to state year in year out is enough to keep him here. However the fact that he is such a nice guy and a role model for all the people on the swim team and also the people in the community is the real reason why he has stayed at our school so long. If he can keep doing what he is doing he will probably retire from our school and be one of the best well known coaches in the state of Texas.