Someone who truly impacted me. | Teen Ink

Someone who truly impacted me.

By Jeremy16 BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas
Jeremy16 BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas

"Never give up on what you want or you will never be happy."

In the Public Educational System there are a lot of teachers, coaches, principles, and all the other staff members. Then there are those that truly make an impact on a student’s life. The person that made a huge impact on my life was and is Roy Holland. He was my coach from my seventh grade year from where I came in like all of my other class mates scared to death. I remember what he told us, "I'm not going to kill you, but I'm going to get you pretty darn close to it." That probably didn't help that much, but it showed he was going to try, and push us to our limit. He ran us, and ran us more.
He never gave up on us. I remember when I played basketball my eighth grade year. Coach Holland was my coach. Even though our team was horrible, he tired and never gave up on us. I mean never. One game I was playing and I had gotten hit in my knee. First off I have a really bad left knee due to a bone growth, and the fact that the kids knee went right into it made it burst into a fiery explosion of pain. I told him, and he said, “Williams I know you can do this.” It really just gave me a super burst of energy. I limped down the court and shot for a three pointer and made it. He believed in me and pushed me until I accomplished a goal and improved myself. He gave well over thirty years of his life to coaching and molding us students into respectable athletes. Sadly he retired at the end of my eighth grade year. I am truly sorry too all of the younger students going into athletics that won’t get the amazing impact of Roy Holland. Truth be told I was thinking of this publication this morning, and I did not know what to write about. There are just so many teachers. Well on my way driving to school. I was at a stop sign and I look ahead of me and driving towards me was Coach Holland. I then knew who to write about for the award.