Lover and Fighter | Teen Ink

Lover and Fighter

December 14, 2009
By hill2010 BRONZE, Clebure, Texas
hill2010 BRONZE, Clebure, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Some might say he is hardheaded, I say he never gives up. Some may say he spends too much time on those swimmers, I say he is changing the world by changing our generation. Some may even say he is crazy, but crazy is what I like. The teacher that has impacted my life the most is my swim coach, Jim Abt because he taught me how to fight and love.

Jim has taught me how to endure and fight by teaching me to push through physical pain. In swimming he pushes me till I can no longer lift my arms out of the water. In the pool there is no limit to how hard you can push your body, and no end to how much we can achieve because we are the only thing stopping ourselves from victory. So we can push our body till every muscle screams in anguish, and we do it again the next day and the next. Jim also taught me how to fight in the world because he believes in us. Everyday he would build me up and say things like, “you can accomplish so many things in your lifetime because you are immensely talented.” He makes us feel like we make a real difference in the world by revealing this power deep inside us. We are strong because we know that we can achieve anything. I know this for a fact because I have recovered from three knee surgeries. Doctors said I would never be the same, that I wouldn’t walk normally again but I fought in rehab everyday and proved them all wrong. I can run faster and jump higher than before I ever got injured, and Jim was with me every step of the way cheering me on and marveling at my strength when he is so much stronger.

Jim has also taught me how to love through his example. He shows love to complete strangers as well as his closest friends. He strives to make everyone feel special, original, and beautiful. By watching my coach I have learned to see the beauty in everyone, because having the chance to love someone is a gift. Each moment is another chance to make a difference in someone’s life because the small things build the foundation for our future. Most importantly he has taught me to live life to the fullest because we only have one life to live. We are too blessed to let our gifts go unused, and life is too short not to fight hard and love harder.