History to Remember | Teen Ink

History to Remember

December 14, 2009
By SeanD BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas
SeanD BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Jamestown was established in 1607, and I still remember him saying it. During my 8th grade year at Smith Middle School, Coach Ford taught me the ways of out American history with a style that kept it interesting. His teaching techniques made a pupil believe that he or she wasn’t learning a boring story about the past. Instead he made it real, with intense explanation of why the American Revolution happened and how the people had a right to oppress the king that gave them taxation without representation in Parliament.
Not only did Coach Ford do a grand job of educating me in the classroom, but also coached me in football that I remained playing till my senior year in high school. His coaching skills taught me the basic physical training skills I would come to use for another 5 years.
His class seemed to me at the time to be the laugh of the day, because through all my teachers I had at that grade, none of them could make me laugh the way he did with his common counter to the question “Can I (do something)?” with “I don’t know…. can you?”. If I can still remember when Jamestown, the first settlement in the United States was established 5 years later, one would thing he deserves some type of recognition since most teacher try to just get through the day.