A Prophet | Teen Ink

A Prophet

December 14, 2009
By Destin Chapman BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas
Destin Chapman BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I've always loved social science classes. The interaction of people, the corrupted politics, and the study of the great scholars always intrigued me. Perhaps until my junior year however, I was looking towards more... economy-favoring careers such as a computer programmer or aerospace engineering. Never did I think I would make the radical choice to be a history teacher. I mean come on! Who really wants to lecture the same topic multiple times a day, act as daddy and mommy for less obedient students, and get paid about the same as the garbage man? Well... sign me up.

The year 2008 was an historical time for the United States with the election of Barack Obama, the first black president. My 'professor' (dual-credit class), Mr. Park, always was able to tie current events with the history subject that we were currently discussing. He always seemed to make the class interesting which put him head and shoulders above almost every teacher I have had. No class did I look forward to going to more often than Mr. Park's American History class.

Mr. Park was always an precise and exact in his description, leaving no room for ambiguity and transparency for the assignment. When grading essays, short answers, or any non-multiple choice assignment, he gave an explanation for the errors and even gave commendation. Unlike a science or math teacher, he always had an answer.

Mr. Park has influenced me to the point of a career choice. Various teachers have only caused me to briefly consider various things. This teacher on the other hand didn't stop at brief considerations, but has caused me to research the field I desire.

The author's comments:
I enjoy social sciences including psychology, history, and economics. I take an interest in monitoring the political world.