The Evian of Coaches | Teen Ink

The Evian of Coaches

By Ross Kelley BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas
Ross Kelley BRONZE, Cleburne, Texas

The smell and presence of chlorine burns the skin, and the cold water is our only hope of surviving in the humidity of the pool. He tried to kill us with drills and sets for two hours straight. Our swim coach, Jim, is a monster but has the best intentions.

Jim is a man many look up to because of his good spirit. When he sees someone doing well in practice, he lets them know. During practice he is firm but fair. Jim is a retired coach but still coaches our high school swim team. Before I joined, he convinced the school board to let the swim team have an eight lane pool at our water park.

Jim also has very open arms. He has opened his house to the swim team so we can have a place to hang out somewhere, to do homework, to work out, or come and talk to him. Also, the past year Jim has loved and cared for two foreign exchange students from Germany and South America. He is still keeping in touch, like the rest of the swim team.

Jim knows our limits and what we can achieve. He genuinely believes we can go past our limitations to become a faster swimmer. I am glad Jim is a part of my life and has taught me many life lessons I can never forget in the future.