Teacher | Teen Ink

Teacher

My first day of second semester of the third grade was the beginning of a very long and interesting journey. In between switching schools and moving into six different places I still had to learn and get an education. It was an adjustment having to doing school at my kitchen table instead of a desk. Unlike most children my age I was offered the opportunity to receive one on one attention from my teacher.
Now, my teacher coincidentally happened to be my mother. She was my English, Math, Social Studies, and Gym teacher. She explained everything to me, no matter how hard it was or how long it took. Throughout the years, my homeschooling got harder and Mom got tougher. No matter how many times I would cry and want to give up my mom was always there backing me up along the way. My mom would never allow me to give up, even when I was at my breaking point. Many times she was also at her breaking point more times than I was.

As the years went on, I started to give up on myself. I would always get into fights with my mom about doing school work and sometimes, at the end of the day, we would both end up wanting to call it quits and send me back to school. However, no matter how many times we both ended up crying, she would always get up the next day with such hope that we could make it through another day. The first day of school came and even though I was now out of my house and into the real world my mom still stood by my side every step of the way. She taught me not only to be strong, but how overcome the toughest battles a young girl would ever have to fight. I am now in the eleventh grade and to this day my mother is still here for me and constantly helping me fight my battles. I chose my mother as educator of the month because she has always been there for me and has always put her life on hold to help me get further in life. My mother never gave up on me no matter how many times she could have walked away. I would like to thank her for not giving up on me and for always being there for me.