Mr. Haase | Teen Ink

Mr. Haase

February 15, 2024
By NathanSimonson BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
NathanSimonson BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I have known Mr. Haase since I was in elementary school because I went to school with his son Jay. I would do basketball camps over the summer and always thought of him as an inspiring and positive leader. After many years of waiting I was finally given the pleasure of having him as a teacher in my junior year of high school.

I took American Problems, a very fun and engaging class thanks to Mr. Haase. If I was having a bad day I knew I could always count on American Problems to turn it around. In the class we were constantly playing games and learning about current events in our world. 

Now in my senior year of high school, I have Mr. Haase for US History, which is also a wonderful class. He constantly asks, “have you ever wondered why this place is named what it is?” and proceeds to tell a history lesson that connects to us directly. A lot of things in high school are seen as arbitrary since we won't use them again but Mr. Haase found a way to make things important and meaningful to us. His main goal is to engage students and give them a new perspective. Mr. Haase has such a passion for the subject he teaches that excites me and makes me want to learn more. 

Outside of the classroom Mr. Haase is the head coach of the Arrowhead basketball team. Not only is he just a coach, but he is also one the greatest coaches in the state by consistently having a premier program. He is constantly recognized for his great work including having the Arrowhead court named after him. He was also recently inducted in the WBCA hall of fame for his influence in the state of Wisconsin. Although I was never great at basketball I know I can always come into class and talk basketball with Mr. Haase. 

Being a coach, part of Mr. Haase’s competitive side is frequently shown in class, he will often make what we learn into a competition where the winner will get extra points. His goal is to engage his students and try to make them a fraction as interested as he is in his teachings. It is obvious he wants his students to succeed and do well.

Outside of school Mr. Haase has a family consisting of his wife and two children. His wife used to work at North Lake, the middle school I went to. Like him she is also very pleasant and dedicated to what she does. Mr. Haase is an excellent teacher, coach, and mentor and I am grateful that I have the opportunity to learn from him.