Mrs. O'Connor | Teen Ink

Mrs. O'Connor

February 15, 2024
By AbiG07 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
AbiG07 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Middle school is never easy for anyone. I had a really hard time adjusting to the swing of things in the 6th grade, but Mrs.O’Connor made my middle school experience at Templeton Middle school so much easier. 

She was my 6th/7th and 8th grade math intervention teacher. I struggled a lot with math and I was often embarrassed by it, it also didn’t help that other kids would say hurtful comments like, Oh! So you’re in the special math class or Are you in math class with special needs kids? 

Mrs. O’Connor knew about these comments kids would make and told me that, “You’re learning everything those other kids are learning but just at a slower pace, and that what they say should not make you feel dumb because of something they don’t know anything about.” 

She always inspired me to be more confident and I give her a lot of credit for my ability to just not care very much about the stupid things people say.

 I enjoyed going to Mrs. O’Connors class. She would always have fun math games and reviews for us to do, and she made her classroom a place where students could learn without judgment. 

Thinking back I was horrified to ask questions in the beginning of middle school, and my grade in her class was really suffering because of it. I would just sit in class and if I didn’t know something or I didn’t understand something I would just keep it to myself. Mrs. O’Connor noticed and asked me to stay after to talk, and I told her “I was afraid to ask questions in class because I didn’t want to sound dumb.” She understood but told me that other kids might have the same questions so asking them wouldn't make me sound dumb. I always felt like she was someone I could go to. 

In 7th grade the pandemic hit. It was a really hard time for a lot of students and teachers and even though we used Zoom she would still check in with her class for meetings to talk about math or just things going on in our lives. She knew about my little cousin and she would ask about her. At the end of the year in 7th grade she went to all the students' houses and gave us all a little bag of candy and each student got an O’Connor dollar (Mrs. O'Connors class currency), she had written a kind note on each wishing us a good summer. I still have to note because of how much it meant.

I did online school continuing into the first semester of my 8th grade year. When I came back from online I had really been struggling with the algebra course that I was put in when I was virtual. I was put back in Mrs.O’Connors room and in just a few weeks of meeting with her to get help, I was already getting better grades. In 8th grade she also nominated me for a Principal pen award. Principal pen awards were a high achievement for students to get awarded, showing how hard you have worked over the years. When I was awarded the award I could see how proud my teacher was, we were both tearing up by the end of the little ceremony. 

Mrs. O’Connor was truly a one of a kind teacher, she is kind, considerate, and she is truly passionate about teaching. I don’t think that there is a way I can fully thank her for all that she has done for me, and other students.