Mr. Schlitt | Teen Ink

Mr. Schlitt

February 14, 2024
By The_EnbyGhost BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
The_EnbyGhost BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Mr. Schlitt, 

Welcoming – Approachable – Non-Judgemental. When I think of you, these three words come to mind. I want to take this opportunity to thank you for being a terrific teacher. You are an exceptional educator, inside and outside the classroom, who has made a difference in many students’ lives including my own.

First, you are welcoming. When I originally signed up for Woods I, I was unsure about the class and worried I would feel out of place. From the moment I stepped into your classroom/shop – with its many complex tools, low humming sounds, and the earthy smell of fresh wood – you made me feel comfortable. I truly feel at home in your classroom – it is a place where I can be my authentic self. I remember on the first day you said something to the effect of, “Come to me if you ever need help with anything.” I have never had a teacher say something like that to me before and it made a huge and lasting impact on me. Even after school ends, you stay late and have an open time to help me catch up on current projects. You even let people use the equipment to work on personal projects as long as we buy the materials needed.

Next, you are approachable. In the past, I have tended not to ask questions or seek help when I need it.  However, you can always seem to tell when I need help. Your willingness to approach me has, in turn, helped me feel comfortable approaching other teachers when I need assistance. For instance, when I was hovering over my countless raw cherry project pieces – sprawled out on one of the well-loved dull dusty red sanding tables – wondering what to do next, you sensed my confusion and helped me through the next step of nailing it together. As a result of your encouragement, I believe I am becoming a more skilled woodworker as well as a stronger advocate for myself.

Furthermore, you are non-judgmental. Somehow, you can always tell when I’m just not having a good day, yet you never criticize me for it. On the days when I am just not “feeling it” you let me take a break for a while. At the same time, though, you motivate me, like my own personal cheerleader, to move forward with my day. In addition, you have inspired me to think beyond high school and even recommended technical colleges where I can pursue my passion for woodworking. Without you, I may not have considered woodworking as a possible career path for my future.

Ever since the first day in your class, I have always been excited to go to Woods I and, now, Woods II.  I feel confident that, as my life unfolds, you will be a teacher that I will never forget. Your warmth, unwavering support, and acceptance of me as a student and, more importantly, as a person makes me feel worthy.