Mr. Johnson | Teen Ink

Mr. Johnson

By addystrack BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
addystrack BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

“I said you are family now and I meant it,” Mr. Johnson said to me after a long talk about what I was going through my sophomore year at Arrowhead High School. I didn't think much of it at the time regarding how upset I was but when Mr. Johnson said this, it was a promise. He never broke it. 

It was summer going into my sophomore year. My life was a raging fire and I couldn't take one more second of that pure chaos, and unlivable nightmare and then—an angel appeared. I went to a football scrimmage. I had two friends who were incoming freshmen so I walked over to the grass field where I saw the man I always thought was terrifying. Mr. Johnson approached me and one of my best friends at the time. 

“I am in desperate need of managers. Please, Please, Please.” 

I thought he was kidding. “Me? A football manager? I don't think so.” One thing I have learned about Johnson is that he is determined. 

“Think about it and email me.” I went about my week not thinking much of it until one Friday my mom said if I don't play field hockey anymore I need to find something to do. I emailed Mr. Johnson and told him I was in. 

The following weeks were fun. Game days and practices after a stressful day of school was like an escape. I felt at peace for once. As the days went on, I started to become friends with the team, and had a close bond with the coaches. I remember Mr. Johnson making me feel motivated, and that I counted for something. To him I mattered which is not something I really ever felt before. 

After a game at Muskego High School, I got the worst news that someone can get. Someone very close to me had passed away. It was the bus ride home and I remember I couldn't stop crying. I didn't even have to explain anything to Mr. Johnson he just knew right away. Mr. Johnson is an empathetic person. He has a beautiful heart underneath his tough skin. 

After the season ended I got lucky to still have the opportunity to be around Mr. Johnson. I did not have him as an English teacher, but that did not matter. I spent my sixth hour lunch every day in his classroom learning about English. That is when I realized he is not only a good coach, but also a wonderful teacher. 

I would talk to him about every inconvenience and he would sit, listen, and give me advice. I remember telling him about my situation and him saying, “You were born a fighter.” That stuck with me. The strongest person I know said I was a fighter. For the first time in my life I believed I could get through it. 

I am unable to talk about Mr. Johnson without talking about the whole Johnson family. He has a wonderful wife who runs two stores in downtown Delafield who I started working for in September. She has the kindest heart. He also has two boys, Lucas and Dylan, who I have been babysitting for about a year. They have bubbly personalities and love their parents so much. 

Once I started thinking about my future, I realized that Mr. Johnson helped me write it out. I have always wanted to be a journalist in New York but never knew what kind. Sports journalism. That's it. He made it all click. He made life make sense. 

Most of all Mr. Johnson taught me that family can be chosen and as long as I live he will be mine.