Ms. Westrick | Teen Ink

Ms. Westrick

By alexlovern5 PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
alexlovern5 PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin

When I first met Ms. Westrick, my first grade teacher, I was amazed with how gracious, smiley, and gorgeous she was. I wanted to look like her when I grew up. She was perfect. As a first grader, I was amazed with stories, pictures, and math.
Since the beginning of first grade, I witnessed firsthand the positive impact she had on other students as well as me. She is a patient, kind, and enthusiastic teacher. I always felt valued and supported by her. I remember the warmth and kindness that radiated off her every day as she greeted us at the door with a smile. Her passion for teaching and genuine love for her students was clear in every lesson she taught. She had a remarkable ability to make learning exciting and engaging, whether it was through adventures or creative projects. I got to connect with other students this way. I met some of my best friends in that classroom. 
I walk into Merton Elementary School for first grade every morning with a smile on my face. Whenever I felt sad or worried, she always knew how to make me feel better. Her hugs and high-fives made me feel like I could do anything! She is like a superhero teacher, saving the day with kindness and encouragement.
When I came back from Christmas break, I was upset that my mom and dad argued over whether I should believe in magic. I will never forget her words, Ms. Westrick said, “believe in what you want to believe, Alex.”
Ever since she said those wise words to me, I have lived by them. I was taught that my opinions and feelings matter. Now I am in JSA (Junior States of America), a club to debate about topics in the world. I get to speak my opinions and feelings about the world around me. I thank Ms. Westrick for seeing I had value and she never stopped believing in me. 
One of the most significant lessons I learned from her was the importance of perseverance and strength. Her belief in me helped me overcome my difficulties at home and instilled me with confidence to tackle obstacles. This gave me the determination to never give up. She was a teacher and also was a mom. She loved her daughter more than anything. Even though she had her own personal worries, she never let it show with her children at school. She always had a smile on her face, open arms, and open ears. 
In reflecting on the influence you had in my life, I realize your dedication and passion for teaching ignited a spark within me that continues to burn brightly. You taught me not only the fundamentals of reading, writing, and math, but also life skills of empathy, love, and perseverance. Your support helped mold me into the individual I am today. I am forever grateful for you, Ms. Westrick.