Mr. Michael Ganus | Teen Ink

Mr. Michael Ganus

By yoonwoolee0205 BRONZE, Seoul, Other
yoonwoolee0205 BRONZE, Seoul, Other

I like how Mr. Ganus always makes school a very open place. Coming into his classroom for band is about learning how to play an instrument but so much more. Instead of caring about the instruments so much, he cares about deeper connections with his students. He spends time talking to each student, asking them about their day and what’s going on with them. We feel like he cares about each and every one of us. If I come in early, he asks about my weekend or my day so far. He knows I play volleyball and sometimes asks me about that. He talks about music, too, but it’s part of who we are as students. He doesn’t just know our names and instruments. He knows us.

He doesn’t have a narrow mindset, only focusing on the students who are good. He sees potential in everyone and treats the worst players with the same attention as the best players. He has an open mindset. He sees potential in every one of us, no matter what skill level we’re at. 

He doesn’t give homework, but he’s very effective at teaching during class. He encourages and ensures everything is right — he’s demanding, but in a good way — making sure we learn exactly what we need to learn. He has a small cornet. Sometimes, he plays it during class to help someone get the right tune. In almost every class, he will joke and make us laugh. 

If someone makes a mistake and feels embarrassed, he goes out of his way to laugh it off so the person doesn’t feel so bad. If we don’t start altogether, he’ll stop us, laugh it off, and start again. 

If he needs to get mad, he gets really, really mad. If the music is hard and someone misses it ten times, he’s patient. If the student knows how to do something and doesn’t do it, then he’ll get really stern for like five to ten seconds and admonish them, but then he goes back to being relaxed and funny. I think Mr. Ganus should be an educator of the year.

Mr Ganus has helped me improve and feel more comfortable about my instrument. He has told me that I need to play my trumpet with confidence and dominance which really helped me hone my trumpet tone. He has been my band teacher for 7 years (currently in my 8th with him), and he really is the best educator and teacher in our school.