Mrs. Whitehaus | Teen Ink

Mrs. Whitehaus

By jacksonvhill BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
jacksonvhill BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Mrs. Whitehaus

By Jackson Hill, Grade 12

In my life there have been very few people who have legitimately altered the course of my life. Mrs. Whitehaus is one of those people and she helped shape me into the man I am today. She is a spectacularly effective educator, an incredible mentor, and a caring friend. Mrs. Whitehaus teaches the challenging AP English Language and Composition course at Arrowhead High School and I was blessed to be in her class last year.

Mrs. Whitehaus is in the business of helping people reach their potential as writers and as human beings. She helped me along my path to meeting my potential in both of these areas throughout my junior year. She proved to me that any obstacle can be overcome by having relentless positivity and grit. In the middle of second semester I faced a plethora of trials, from school to athletics to mental health. I was fighting battles against my chemistry teacher every day as I scratched and clawed my way to an A. I had just suffered a serious knee injury, putting me out of my junior season of track and my senior season of football. I was studying rigorously daily to get my ACT score up in effort to make me a competitive college applicant. This took a toll on me and I felt helpless, weak, and alone. I tried my hardest to bear my burden for a while, but during one of our in-class discussions about mental health stigmas, Mrs. Whitehaus inspired me to help myself by getting support from others.

Soon after, I sat down with her after school and we talked for over an hour as she helped me navigate my challenges. Hearing her perspective completely flipped my mental framework regarding the way that I should deal with difficult emotions. I walked out of school that day invigorated by faith and confidence. Similar discussions followed throughout the next few months and I steadily gained ground on my personal trials. The way that she implored and respected my thoughts as I showed vulnerability made me feel truly respected, valued, and supported. It’s a unique talent and I’m grateful that she was willing to take the time to share it with me. With her help I ended the year in about the best shape that could have been expected of me. She helped me once more by writing a jaw-dropping letter of recommendation, which undoubtedly contributed to my successful college applications. 

My life-changing experience last year may not have ended so well without the support of Mrs. Whitehaus. She not only helped me by assisting me through a difficult time, but also by inspiring me to be more like her. Since then, I’ve made it a personal responsibility to encourage others around me. To inspire positivity. And to hopefully be able to help someone, someday, the way that she has helped me. 

This is a letter of gratitude for Mrs. Whitehaus, my AP language and composition teacher, and advocation for her to be recognized as educator of the year.