Tara McNamara | Teen Ink

Tara McNamara

February 15, 2023
By Anonymous

It was a little bit after the second semester at Pewaukee Elementary School when I was starting second grade as a new student. I was young and very scared as thoughts swirled in my mind. What if they didn't like me? What if I get bullied just like at my other school? I had never been to a new school before. I've always had trouble learning since I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 5. The teacher I got was Mrs. McNamara. Her classroom was very colorful. She had a circle carpet surrounded by books. The seats were open desks with blue chairs in little pods. There were kids everywhere. I was so nervous. My mom and my grandpa were with me, but it didn’t help ease my nerves.

I remember talking to my mom about how I was scared that I would not pass second grade. I was young so I didn't know any better. I just kept saying “ Mom, what if I had to redo second grade? “ People are gonna make fun of me. I don't want to have to redo 2nd grade.  As the thought of having to redo second grade came to my head, the more and more scared and worried I got. I didn’t want to be a failure. We talked to Mrs. McNamara for a brief moment. My mom and grandpa went home and I stayed. Finishing the rest of the day at my new school. Once I came home, I had forgotten about everything I was worried about. All my worries flew out the window like a paper plane. 

Conferences were coming up. I didn’t know what these were because I had never had one of those when I went to Milwaukee Public Schools. There I was again in Mrs. McNamara's classroom with my Grandpa and Mom. What was going to happen? What was she going to talk to me about? So many thoughts swirled in my head as we sat in the back at the half-circle table with the blue chairs and wooden top. “I heard that you were worried about not passing second grade, I can tell you, you don't have to worry about that, I will help you through everything and make sure you get caught up.”

When Mrs. McNamara said that it was like a weight was off my chest. I was so relieved that I wouldn’t  have to redo second grade. Throughout that year, she helped me with so many things. She would make sure that I understood what we were doing in class. If I didn't Mrs. McNamara would be patient with me and help me until I did understand what we were learning. She was very understanding when it came to not having all my homework done if I didn't get it. She treated every student like they were her own. 

There was this one time when I was walking with my best friend Jamie to take a bathroom break. I was telling her all about my old school and why I had moved. I was talking about how I was severely bullied, both physically and emotionally. When Jamie and I got back to the classroom, Mrs. McNamara pulled me aside and said that she had heard what I was saying. She explained that she was sorry and she told me that nothing like that would ever happen here. As the year went on my grades have gotten better. She helped me understand that if I put my mind to it I can succeed in anything. Still to this day I would say she made a great impact on my life. She helped me with so many things, not only getting my grades up, but my social life up too. I learned that not everyone is out to get you.