Educator Essay- Blake Rip | Teen Ink

Educator Essay- Blake Rip

February 15, 2023
By BlakeRip SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
BlakeRip SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Appreciation can be shown in ways we think are moving, but the smallest thank you can change someone's day for the better. Someone like a school lunch lady doesn't get shown the appreciation they deserve, constantly shown attitude and rude comments. But what I think is the foundation of making our school day easier is lunch. 


Mrs. Doro is one of the couple lunch ladies we are blessed to have here at Arrowhead High School. Not only is she my favorite lunch lady, she is one of my favorite people throughout the entire building. Everytime I see her walking to lunch she always has a smile ear to ear waving at me like she hasn't seen me in years. She has shown me how the simplest “Hi” can really change my attitude for the better.


Even in a rush, she always makes enough time to say, “Hey Honey, how are you today?”


Just a small greeting from a happy, joy filled person like I have never met. If you get the privilege to talk to Mrs. Doro, consider yourself lucky. I don't even get a hot lunch, but I alway make time to come up to talk to her. 


Especially nowaday when the lunch ladies are really hurt by covid due to inflation on the higher prices in food and having to make individual meals for each student, they always finish the job and make the right amount of food for us. I see some kids not even saying thank you or anything to Mrs. Doro when she scans their ID card. Everytime she starts her sentence with a joyful and powerful “Hi!”  to any and all students no matter if they respond or not. 


She puts a smile on my face faster than anyone has. Even if I'm holding up the line, she doesn't care, we love talking to each other. Our conversations aren't boring normal chats like most teens to adults. We talk like we have been friends since birth. It's the same feeling as talking to any of my friends because we are friends. Mrs. Doro is not only an extremely good lunch lady, she's an outstanding friend and I wish I could have the pleasure of talking to her outside of school. 


What makes our relationship even better is that she also has a relationship with my brother. She had him when he was in high school and he talks about her all the time. Would tell everyone how she is the coolest person in the entire school and would love to hangout with her.


To show the amount of appreciation I have for her would be millions and millions of dollars I would give to her. But I don't have that, so I hope she can truly understand my respect and appreciation for her with this writing. Mrs. Doro needs a raise for sure.