Mr. Christian | Teen Ink

Mr. Christian

By Dhoppe BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Dhoppe BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Mr. Christian 

By Destiny Hoppe

I started out my high school experience just trying to stay low. I took the required classes and art classes. Nothing crazy or out of my comfort zone. My brothers were the hard working type. They took the shop classes at our school and they loved them. They raved about the teachers that they had. I never had that experience with a teacher yet.

My brothers all encouraged me to take a shop class. They said “it's real life experience that will benefit you.” For a while I was hesitant to even try it. But in the winter when I had ro sign up for my senior courses, I chose Woods Production 1. I was scared to walk in on the first day. I expected the teacher to have high expectations for my brothers who were very well known in the shop courses. When the teacher, Mr. Christian (Mr. C), called my name, he saw Hoppe and smiled. 

When most teachers heard the name Hoppe they asked about my brothers and not much about me. Mr. C took his time trying to get to know me and asked about my life. He taught in a way that made him seem like a real person, not just a teacher you see in a classroom. He treats you like an adult and expects respect in return.

I’ve been able to have conversations with him about things going on in my life and in his life that I don't think I would have had with another teacher. He shows he's interested and genuinely cares. 

He encourages me to ask for help, double check my work and learn from my mistakes. He has taught me to be confident in my work and has shown me what hard work looks like and how it can pay off.

Mr. C has been very understanding and has treated me and other students like their own person. He didn't see my last name and expected me to be like my brothers, he saw me as me and encouraged me to continue to be myself. 

His words of encouragement have meant the world to me. More than he'd actually know. He shows up to school everyday with a smirk and a good attitude even when he has stuff going on in his life. Walking into his classroom, I know I am accepted and valued.