Mrs. Wartzenluft | Teen Ink

Mrs. Wartzenluft

February 15, 2023
By ahsssstudent SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
ahsssstudent SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

               Mrs. Wartzenluft 

By Pearl Peckham


It was my first day at north shore middle school as a sixth grader. I think you could imagine a little nervous 6th grader walking into the doors of a new chapter. I wasn't just nervous, I was anxious, to begin with. As a middle schooler, I suffered from major anxiety. 


It was time for comm arts class. I wasn't really sure what to expect from this, all I wanted was to be able to enjoy middle school and be excited to go to school every day. I walked down the hallway and the class was on the right, I turned into the room and had to stand there for a minute to process the room I was in. It was dim, there were cozy bookshelves, twinkle lights, rolly chairs, bouncy chairs, a nice couch, and most importantly essential oil diffusers. I instantly felt calm when I walked in and my anxiety had a sense of relief. 


“Call me Beth,” she said with a comforting smile on her face. Beth was someone I knew instantly would make an impact on my life. She took part in wanting to know about my life outside of school. She wanted to not just teach students but care for them. 


On reading days she would put a calm fire up on the projector screen, on stressful days in the end she would play our favorite music to dance to and sing to just let go of whatever stress may come upon us. I still have the video playing in my head of her dancing and singing to the music video “boyfriend” by Justin Bieber. She just made me feel so comfortable I knew that school doesn't only need to be stressful. 


I could always go to Beth for anything, whether it was a life problem or if I simply just needed help on my English assignment. Beth would never make someone not feel smart when she helped with our work and especially essays. She would always show how proud she was of you, and even if you felt down Beth would tell her own life experiences.


I remember once I broke the school kindle by accident and I was just so embarrassed and anxious by it, and she simply said “ at least you are alive and well”. I still say that to myself sometimes.  I then knew how much I worry about the past and how Beth then taught me not only English but a life lesson on how if we dwell on the past it doesn't need to impact our future. 


My favorite days were 10-minute meditation before starting lessons with Beth. She knew that even middle schoolers could be stressed and overwhelmed so she played calming music and let us take time for ourselves.


Beth, you impacted me more than you could know, and you are going to forever be in my heart because you were the memories that are special to me.