Mr. Brester | Teen Ink

Mr. Brester

By 3mcdowell GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
3mcdowell GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

During my sophomore and junior year when I would go to family events, they would ask me “what do you want to do after high school?” I had no clue at all what I wanted to do. So it made me stressed out and once every month we would do the Xello surveys which is a 100-question survey to find a right fit for you to find your job and I would spend 40 minutes just doing the surveys and all of the results I got were zookeeper and I said “I do not want to feed a Lion and get eaten myself”, but I remember my mom saying “don't worry about it if you find something you like it will come to you.”

During the first week of my junior year in Mr. Bresters Class all I heard was “debits on left, credits on the right.” I remember we did a Monopoly game to start it off. We would put all the accounts we use and write them down on a piece of paper and calculate the number and see if the debits and credits would equal and they did. 

With some of my assignments, my numbers did not equal the answer key and Mr. Brester tells me if I put the write accounts in and it was just small mistakes I kept making but when I got everything to equal the same thing as the spreadsheet it was so satisfying. 

In February when we are choosing classes, he tells us “you guys should take college accounting, you will get a college credit.” I ask him “how hard is the class.” He tells me “it's not any harder than this one it's just more in-depth.” Two days go past of me thinking about it, is he really being serious about it being the same difficulty or is he lying? I believed him and took the class.

In May I’m still thinking about my career on what I should do. Then I think to myself what classes do I enjoy at Arrowhead? The first thing that pops into my head is accounting. Then I look more into accounting and the pay is really good and accountants are in demand right now.

In September all the work Mr.  Brester gives me is just as easy as the other class except for more depth like he said. I ask Mr. Brester if “I should major or minor in accounting?” and he said “if you major in accounting then you can have more opportunities” and that stuck with me ever since. At the next family event, they asked me “what do you want to do when you're older?” I can finally answer the question. I want to be an accountant.