Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By ahswriter02 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
ahswriter02 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

What do you think about when picking a good educator? A good educator is helpful, caring, dedicated, and welcoming. In this case, I consider Mrs. Eberle to be that person. Mrs. Eberle is a librarian and Student Council advisor at Richmond School. She is someone who helps me grow and someone who has guided me to be the best person I can be.

When I first came to Richmond, I was eleven years old and in fifth grade. I didn't know many people and I didn’t know how to get involved—until I joined Student Council. We did a variety of crafts, scrapbooked, and prepared for upcoming events. Student Council was a place for me to relax and forget about everything else. 

Within my first and second year, I ran for the Treasure Officer position and lost both times. But come my third year, I ran and was elected the Vice President Officer. Running each year may have gotten a little easier, but it never got any less nerve-wracking. Getting up in front of people and giving a speech has been a weakness of mine, but by my final year of Student Council, I stood up and gave a speech in front of four judges—earning a gold ribbon for our school. I was amazed and so proud of myself. I wouldn't have been able to do it without Mrs. Eberle. During the process, she took the time to read over my speeches, listen to me present, and give me feedback. She was truly dedicated.

Not only did Mrs. Eberle take the time to teach me public speaking, she also taught me what it’s like to be a leader. Throughout four years of Student Council, the group and I participated in leadership conferences. Some of us even got to go to the WASC state leadership conference in Madison. It was a wonderful experience. We listened to guest speakers, ate fancy meals, participated in many activities, and ended the night with a dance party. I had a blast, but I wouldn’t have gotten to go if it weren’t for Mrs. Eberle.

At the time of the state leadership conference, my parents were not fully financially stable. It was hard for them to throw out $300. With that, I didn’t think I was going to be able to go. But when I had expressed that to Mrs. Eberle, she did everything she could to make sure I was able to go. She offered and granted me a scholarship--ensuring that I could go. I was and still am truly thankful for her.

Mrs. Eberle, along with every one of those leadership conferences made me grow. Not only as a better person, but as a better leader. In fact, I still look back on all the things I learned because of her. I think about who I would be if I hadn’t gotten close to Mrs. Eberle--and if I hadn’t joined Student Council.

While writing this piece, it made me realize how much impact both Mrs. Eberle and student council had on me. It's truly amazing what one person or one club can really do.