Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

November 19, 2019
By AHS_Pebble BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
AHS_Pebble BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In the two years—four semesters—of English I’ve been subjected to, almost everything was the same. Arrowhead English semesters, one through three, had identical teachers. Though two were female and one was male, all were about 5’8”, had brown hair, and taught in a similar fashion. So, as I walked into my fourth semester of English, I naturally looked around for an adult of 5’8” with brown hair and eyes with a boring presentation waiting for us on the board. 


The first time I ‘met’ Mrs. Markano, I overlooked her. She didn't fit my idea of an English teacher. I thought she was a student—she was a little blonde who didn't even reach my shoulder—but that was a foolish mistake. Everything about Mrs. Markano is motherly from the way she dresses to the way she speaks. Her personality makes up size. She’s boisterous, perky, and optimistic. She didn’t take long to become my favorite teacher. 


I’ll be honest, I’ve never enjoyed English class. I’ve now read Lord of the Flies four times, each time for an English class. I do love the book, unlike most students in my classes. Still, I do not think each boy represents a type of government. 


Mrs. Markano is different. She told us to find a book we like, on any subject, and to analyze it for ourselves. When I get to choose what I read and how I see it, I enjoy reading.


Mrs. Markano inspired me. She didn't only tell me what I did wrong on assignments but she complimented what I did well and gave me advice on how to improve. She doesn’t get sidetracked easily, which seems to be the goal of many students. Seeing her so devoted to her work and her students made me feel important. She cared about my education. 


At the end of my sophomore year, I remember Mrs. Markano handing me back my final speech grade and telling me, “I’m looking forward to having you in Advanced Speech.” 

The comment may not seem like much to her, but I think about it whenever I’m about to speak in public. Mrs. Markano believes in me.


    For the first time ever, I am having an English teacher for a second time. Now, I have her as an acting coach. I don’t think I’ve seen a teacher laugh or smile as much as Mrs. Markano in acting class. Her laugh is contagious. Acting may not be a ‘hard science’ class, but it’s a class where I learned about myself. 


Mrs. Markano, I’m looking forward to seeing you in Advanced Speech next year. I’m also looking forward to having you for the third year in a row. I know you read these essays when you’re having a bad day, so I have a request for you. When you’re feeling down, read my note to you. I want to make you smile as much as you’ve made me smile. Thank you for supporting me. Thank you for being you.