Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

As I sat on the cold, metal stool in the Arrowhead art room my sophomore year, I began to cry. The loads of stress washed over me and soon, I was a mess. I signaled I was fine to my friends; just a minor bump in the road. I looked away from the pottery wheel, making eye contact with Mrs. Falkner.

At first, I wanted to do nothing more than run away. I hated confrontation and didn’t know how to explain what I felt. She directed me to the other room, where it would be quieter. 

I remember telling myself to look at the floor, so I wouldn’t cry again. I heard Mrs. Falkner shuffling around. She placed a box of tissues in front of me.

“Are you okay?”

That was it; the trigger I needed to start sobbing. I felt my eyes well up, while my body shook. She gave me a hug and we sat in silence until I managed to mutter a few, short words. 

As soft violin music played, I began to open up, trying to explain what was going on. She looked at me, listening, and gave me another hug. I wiped my eyes for the final time, and gathered my stuff to leave. I smiled and put my head down, as she watched me go.

Two days later, I found myself in the same position, wanting nothing more than to throw up. I felt her warm hand on my shoulder, reminding me of the way my grandma used to calm me during an anxiety attack. 

“Do you need to talk?”

It was obvious I wasn’t great at expressing how I felt, but Mrs. Falkner didn’t care. I felt safer in the four walls of her art room, than I did with any advisor I’ve had. She had a way of making all of her students feel important and loved.

I had never had a teacher care for her students the way Mrs. Falkner did—and still does. I cannot name one instance where I didn’t value her presence. Her ability to express her admiration for not only her job, but her students, is why I appreciate her.

I might not have said it often, but I was—and am—thankful for Mrs. Falkner. She dedicates her time and love to students to see them succeed. Along with enhancing my art skills, she went out of her way to ease my mental state.

I think the main reason I admire her is because she didn’t have to go out of her way for me, but she did anyway. So thank you, Mrs. Falkner, for opening your heart, when I needed it most.