My Favorite Teacher | Teen Ink

My Favorite Teacher

November 19, 2019
By Warkhawk21 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
Warkhawk21 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

   Moving: new town, new house, a new beginning. I could handle these new additions, but what I struggled with most were the new friends and the new school. I was never considered an outgoing person in elementary school, and starting at a new school in sixth grade at Richmond seemed like the hardest thing. My parents reassured me: “you’ll make friends and soon adjust to the new curriculum. But I couldn’t have been more doubtful.

   My mother pulled up to the front of the school, and I stepped out of the backseat, slowly pacing myself to the front doors. I looked around and realized I didn’t know anyone and had no clue where I was going! I took a deep breath and opened the doors. I walked upstairs to my first class, and it was at that moment that I realized everything was going to be okay. 

   The classroom smelled of vanilla and the sun reflected right onto the brightly-decorated walls. A warm, welcoming smile greeted me at the door. I looked up from my feet to see who it was, and her name was Mrs. Nguyen. My breathing began to slow down and I sat down in my seat. I told myself, I am safe here. Mrs. Nguyen always made sure I sat by the nice students, so I could make friends. 

   It shocked me how motherly Mrs. Nguyen was to her students. She always made sure we were okay and ready to learn, even though she was in the middle of a pregnancy and needed to focus on her family. I remember she’d let us choose our own books, and that encouraged me to grow as a student and learn at my own level. After looking back at times like these, I see that in her eyes, we were her family.

   As the year went on, Mrs. Nguyen’s relationship with her students grew as she started to learn more about them and their interests. She taught me to be selfless, but to still love yourself. She taught me to be more independent, but to understand that she was there to catch me if I fell. I even remember going into her room during lunch so we could talk about our day, and I helped her clean her classroom.

   Because of Mrs. Nguyen, I became more outgoing and confident, and she helped me grow and mature into who I am today. She helped me ignore the bullies, and focus on the good in people. She helped me “pay it forward” and taught me to always give extra attention to those in need.

   Although Mrs. Nguyen may not be teaching anymore, I know that she’s changed so many lives for the better. She wasn’t just a teacher but rather she was a leader, a nurturer, a caretaker, and so much more. Because of her a new school and new town didn’t seem so scary, and a new door of opportunity began to open for me.


The author's comments:

This piece demonstrates the amount of hard work my middle school teacher put in when it came to inspiring her students. It shows how much she has impacted me and changed my outlook on life. By writing this piece, I hope to share the inspiration and dedication she showed me, and hopefully, I can pass it on.